Monday, June 1, 2009

Sunsets...

I love sunsets... the beauty of the fading light leaves me breathless and so when I was asked to do a poetic self-portrait for a class, this is what came out of that time. Sunsets which link the different places I've been and the ways in which God speaks peace to me through those places.

--------------------------

When I get the time

to watch the sun fade

behind the houses & hills of LA

The glimmers of light

stretching

across

the sky in yellow fading to purple


And I remember similar glowing colors

watching the skyline in Bangkok Thailand

As I would walk through the city

And cross over the

city streets

cars speeding by

below,

away, to the east

away from the rich display of sunlight,

fading,

refracting,

bouncing off of

noxious gas molecules and pollution

that for one moment unlock

a deeper,

more vibrant

beauty

in the fading sun.

And I stand in awe, sweat staining my back as I trudge through the city of my youth.


And I remember similar glowing colors

sitting atop a squatter community in Manila Philippines

With towering cumulonimbus clouds

forcing the

Sun's rays around them,

so that the light spills

through

every

crack

and

crevice

as it flows towards the dark east,

changing through

every color

of the

Rainbow.

And I sit, and God tells me,

"this is where you should be."


4 comments:

Sam Phang said...

cool! concrete poetry! i remember that from high school english though i had to look up the actual name for it.

Davidthird said...

Wow. Excellent. I guess you should be there, huh? :)

Daniel Groot said...

concrete poetry! That's what it's called eh? Thanks. :)

I hope to find myself in such a place again some day.

jennpope said...

That's awesome how God speaks to you through sunsets and that's amazing how you can transport yourself back to those experiences and remember how you felt. Cool!