Thursday, April 23, 2009

New Eyes, New Vision

New Eyes result in new vision.

New eyes is Dorothy's green tinted glasses as she finally enters the emerald city. It is Tom Cruise's new implant as he runs, a fugitive in Minority Report. It is Neo waking up and using his real eyes for the very first time.

When you are given new eyes it brings new perspective. You look out at an object, person, place, experience and see it anew. Different aspects, different wrinkles and creases pop out to you. And you form new opinions and ultimately new vision.

I'm going through an "new eyes" experience right now as I prepare to return to Bangkok Thailand this coming June 16th. I'm helping to lead a Global Trek for InterVarsity. For those of you who want more information my prayer letter is here.

I go back to Thailand with new eyes for the first time. Going to Thailand has meant "going home" and "going on vacation" for my entire life. But going for ministry? This is new. This will be a new view of the country. A new perspective. And especially it will be a new opportunity to listen to God's voice fresh. I want to know if I'm called to go back to this place one day. I want to see the Thai people the way God sees the Thai people, not just as the people who populated the habitat of my growing years. I want to grow in compassion, love, and vision for Thailand. I want to capture God's vision.

That should always be our goal. To be granted to see things through Jesus' eyes. And perhaps this is the process of spiritual growth and formation. Forming our minds eye and spirit's eye to see what our Jesus sees.

Right now I'm taking a creative writing class and exploring using my five senses to capture image and character and story. And I'm seeing things new. Perhaps the next discipline is to take these things I'm learning and submit them to the tutelage of the Holy Spirit.

Be praying for me!

I plan on posting more on Thailand as I prepare for the trip. Keep posted!

No comments: