Tuesday, July 8, 2008

24 hour count down

Here is a prayer request e-mail I sent out. If you would like to receive updates by e-mail of my time in the Philippines let me know!
-------------------------------
Hey everyone! At this time tomorrow I'll be standing in LAX, waiting in line to check baggage in for my flight to the Philippines! It has been a whirlwind month and a half as I've pursued this opportunity to return overseas. I remember when I first began considering going to the Philippines an option. It was actually pretty exciting for me to even consider going back overseas. As I began to pursue going as an option, I was blessed to have different things fall into place without too much in the way of any problems. I see it as God opening doors.

As the day of departure looms I sense in myself that the initial excitement has passed and has been replaced with the reality of going as well as a deeper hope in what God seems to be doing in my own soul and spirit. As I have lived out the past month, the purpose for this journey and trip has shifted slightly. Where before it was primarily a "fleece" to test to see if I should go overseas (e.g. "God, i'm in the Philippines. If you're calling me here, you can tell me now!") now I am seeing it as a time to sit and listen to what it is that God actually wants me to hear. And more than anything, I want to be able to return to the U.S. with the voice of God being the primary voice I hear, rather than my friends (though I love all of you!), family, or --as is most often the case-- my own voice, which often speaks words of indecision, comparision, angst, and fear of failure!

All that said, below are some ways I can see you all praying for me! I'll bold it, for all of you who wanted to get to the meaty stuff and just skimmed up to this point. ;)

My posture coming in: Pray that I would be able to come in, not as a doer, but as a Learner, a servant, an intercessor and a friend. These are the roles that the internship encourages and I know that as I focus on learning from the people already there, putting things before God, and focusing on relationship, that I will receive the most.

Sarah and I: This will be the longest Sarah and I have been apart since we started dating. :( Please pray for a mutual trust and intentionality and care for each other as we explore God's calling in our lives in two very different areas.

A sensitivity to God's voice: Most important to me is that I would continue to grow in a sensitivity to God's voice and a trust in His guidance in my life. That I would trust in His sovereignty as well as His grace and love.

Okay, I'm not sure how often I will be able to write these, so here is what I know for now. I'll try to e-mail later with contact information and updates but I make no promises! :) Thank you all, again for your care for my life. I appreciate that this group represents a cross section of my life that includes Thailand, Oxy, InterVarsity, and Fuller. God has truly blessed me with good friends.

Take care and blessings,

Daniel

No comments: